axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Lang <sl...@mcs.anl.gov>
Subject Re: axis/c++ community (was: Re: Axis c++ for HP-UX)
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:18:59 GMT
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 20:31, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> "Sam Lang" <slang@mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> > Unlikely.  I've submitted patches to get AxisC++ to work on linux with a
> > 2.95 or 2.96 compiler, which haven't yet been incorporated into the CVS
> > codebase.  From my perspective there are quite a few non-portable C++
> > coding practices that have been used when developing AxisC++.  I've
> > encouraged the group to define and adopt some portable coding
> > guidelines, but there hasn't been much response except that I should
> > define them myself.
>
> Sam, this is an open source project. The success of an open source
> project is defined by how successful the community is - there is
> *no* "us" users vs. "them" developers as your note appears to imply.
> The users are part of the community - in fact that's a critical part
> of making successful open source projects IMO.
>
> The note from Susantha to you asking for the guidelines was a
> request for help. That's very typical of Apache open source
> projects; maybe you are not familar with that much and expected
> a "group" who are responsible for servicing the request of users.
> Well, that's not the way it works.

I agree that open source requires the input and effort of an entire
community, but its also important that a measure of responsibility be in
place that keeps developers in the community honest about the quality of
the code they are committing.  Without this the entire quality of the
project will suffer.  This is why I would argue that a developer who
writes a particular component of code should be directly given bugs that
are submitted for that component.

> Yes there have been some delays in committing some of the patches.
> This project is still very young and we can definitely use more
> committers. There are 24 outstanding items in this project right
> now - that may seem very high to you, but note that Axis/Java has
> 206 right now.

I am a little unfamaliar with the Axis software lifecycle.  Is there a
period of time after a release where bugs and patches are worked on
instead of trying to constantly add new features?