axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa_abeysin...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Generated source in CVS
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 05:36:17 GMT

--- damitha kumarage <damitha@opensource.lk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 10:09, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> > Sounds like we are in sync on this.
> >
> > I think we have bulk of the required functionality with the auto build and test
suite scripts
> we
> > have got. (BTW: do we have Windows versions of these now?)
> >
> > Damitha! Are we going to remove the generated code for the existing samples/tests
from cvs?

> I think samples sould be static and in the build time samples should be
> built. But the tests should not be static and code should be generated
> when running the test suite.
> For a average user who intend to down load and see the samples running
> ./configure ...
> make
> make install
> deploy the service samples and run the client samples
>

> For a developer who needs to see whether everything is ok before he
> commits his changes.
> cd $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build
>
> sh autoBuildCVS.sh
> This should
> 1. merge his changes
> 2. source build
> 3. generage tests
> 4. deploy service tests
> 5. run client tests
>
> Therefore my suggestion is that we need to have all the tests in the
> auto_build/testcases folder. If we need any static tests then we can put
> them
> in $AXISCPP_HOME/tests folder as well. But in this case code should not
> be generated for testing. All the required files should be in place.
> In this sense uddi_inquire test should not be placed in
> $AXISCPP_HOME/tests. It should be in
> $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases

This does not sound correct to me. This sounds like lot of duplication (same test in 2 places)

Why cant we use the tests in $AXISCPP_HOME/tests from $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases?
I do not understand the need for seperation of dynamic and static.
I thought we are using $AXISCPP_HOME/tests from within $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases.

I do not think that we need the generated code at all, because if someone is to use Axis C++
he/she must have the WSDL2WS tool. Hence I see no point in putting the generated code in cvs,
whether the test is static or not.

The greatest trouble I have is that the cvs chekout takes hours when the network is slow,
and most
of the time is spent on downloading the code that I could have easily generated locally.

For those users who need to have a look at the samples, the generated code is not required
to be
packaged. They can generate and see if they want.

Samisa...