axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Dick <adrian.d...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Few comments on Linux Install Doc
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 08:46:09 GMT

>   I reviewed the Linux Install guide (that is on the web site) and I have
few thoughts:

A fair portion of this document looks (to me) as though it would be more
accurately described as Linux Development Guide. In the same way the
Windows guides have been seperated into Install and Development.

> 1. It says:
> "You need to have the following in order to run Axis C++ engine.
>       RedHat 9 (2.4.20-8)
>       expat-1.95.7 (source)
>       xerces-c-src2_2_0 (I build xerces from source)
>       httpd-2.0.48 (source)
>       apache_1.3.27 (source)"
>
> Should'nt it be:
> "You need to have the following in order to run Axis C++ engine.
>       expat-1.95.7 (source) and/or xerces-c-src2_2_0 (I build xerces from
source)
>       httpd-2.0.48 (source) or apache_1.3.27 (source)"
> BTW: Is it httpd-2.0.48 or Apache 2.0.48? Is it apache_1.3.27 or Apache
1.3.27? Do we need to say
> to get source of these packages? I think we can build Axis C++ with bin
packages of these (or do
> we need to recompile apache with module so support)?
>
> 2. It says
> "Note: In my environment I have
> autoconf 2.57
> automake 1.6.3
> libtool 1.4.3
> gcc 3.2.2"
>
> I think it is not necessary to mention them.

If you're still mentioning the versions of Linux, then this is probably
unnecessary as these tend to be included with the OS.
However, based on the problems I experienced earlier this year with
back-level versions it could be worth mentioning earlier versions may not
work as expected.

Adrian Dick (adrian.dick@uk.ibm.com)