axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Blecken" <cblec...@macrovision.com>
Subject RE: New client configuration API
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 16:51:45 GMT
Excellent idea! +1

The only suggestion I have is that would be hesitant to set the configuration per service
constructor. The configuration is typically done globally on a per process basis and there
should
be an option to do it globally and programmatically.
For example adding a method to Axis.cpp:

static void Axis::setConfig(AxisCPP_Configuration conf);

which sets g_pConfig.

My 2c,

Carsten

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hawkins [mailto:HAWKINSJ@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 6:40 AM
To: axis-c-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: New client configuration API

Hi Folks,

we'd like to implement a new API for configuration of the client-side.

I've written a vrief synopsis of what is there to day and what we'd like to do..........

The environment variable is AXISCPP_DEPLOY. This variable is used by the configuration system
to look up a file called axiscpp.conf. This file consists of the following:

#ClientLogPath:                 The path to the axis client log
#ClientWSDDFilePath:         The path to the client wsdd
#XMLParser:                 The xml parser library
#Transport_http:                 The HTTP transport library
#Channel_HTTP:                 The HTTP transport channel library
#Channel_HTTP_SSL:         The HTTP transport secure channel library

This data can be placed in a new configuration Object with the following signature (Pseudo)

AxisCPP_Configuration
{
        get/set ClientLog(String);
        get/set ClientWSDDFile(String);
get/set XMLParserLibrary(String);
get/set TransportLibrary(String);
get/set HTTPChannelLibrary(String);
get/set HTTPSSLChannelLibrary(String);
}

A new Web Service constructor will be created that takes in an AxisCPP_Configuration object.
This constructor will be in addition to the current range of constructors that are created
for each service.

The user may create a web service using the constructor. However, if they attempt to use the
constructor with a configuration object more than once in any given process the configuration
object will be ignored i.e. the engine can only be configured once per process.

Client WSDD files will still be required and no new API will be introduced for them.

thoughts please?

thanks,
john.