axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Cooper_Jo...@emc.com
Subject RE: Is There Roadmap for Axis/C++?
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:43:02 GMT
Thanks Paul! That was very helpful, and yes the assumption about a 'PURE C'
implementation resonates with me, as it actually give me more freedom on how
I wrapper the API. What is the project release date for Axis 2-C at this
point in time?

Thanks,

John

4400 Computer Drive
2nd floor, Mailstop D239
Ext:   35983

  _____

From: Paul Fremantle [mailto:pzfreo@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 2:51 AM
To: Apache AXIS C Developers List
Subject: Re: Is There Roadmap for Axis/C++?

Let me try to add so history and some clarity.

AxisC++ is a very good, solid, 2nd generation Web Services stack written in
C++. It supports being a client to UDDI, and certainly it would be possible
to support WS-Sec under it. However standards like RM and WS-Addressing are
going to be hard to support.

If you look at the iterations of development, the first iteration (e.g.
ApacheSOAP) was just about getting the job done simply. The next iteration
added better parsing and more flexible handler models, which successfully
supports WSSecurity and simple extensions to SOAP.

However, the big change has been WS-Addressing, which has made WS much more
asynchronous and message based. Unfortunately a lot of WS stacks including
Axis/Java 1.x and Axis/C++ 1.x were built with a very RPC-like model.

Axis2 C is the start of the move of Axis in C/C++ to the Axis2 model. When
we wrote Axis2/Java we started again. In building Axis2/C we also started
again, but we also changed the language.

This isn't the right place to discuss C vs. C++, but a number of the people
who fed back on Axis C++ asked for a pure C version. And working on the
basis that C++ programmers are usually happy to have C++ bindings onto a C
library, it was felt that the widest adoption could be acheived by building
a pure C version.

Now this is an OSS project, so I can't speak for everyone. However, I can
say that there is a clear roadmap for Axis2/C - which is to build SOAP, WSDL
and WS-Addressing support in the base, and then expand to support the other
key WS-* standards.

Paul

On 12/6/05, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com
<mailto:samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com> > wrote:

Cooper_JohnD@emc.com <mailto:Cooper_JohnD@emc.com>  wrote:

>Hi Dims,
>
>That sounds great, but why is Axis C++ not on the Axis 2 bandwagon?

By the time Axis2 was designd, Axis C++ was in its 1.4 release.
It is based on the lessons learnt in Axis 1.x falmily that Axis2
concepts were built.

Samisa...