axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Chengdong Lu" <...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Is There Roadmap for Axis/C++?
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:42:45 GMT
Thanks for the information. That does really help.

  _____

From: Paul Fremantle [mailto:pzfreo@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:51 PM
To: Apache AXIS C Developers List
Subject: Re: Is There Roadmap for Axis/C++?

Let me try to add so history and some clarity.

AxisC++ is a very good, solid, 2nd generation Web Services stack written
in C++. It supports being a client to UDDI, and certainly it would be
possible to support WS-Sec under it. However standards like RM and
WS-Addressing are going to be hard to support.

If you look at the iterations of development, the first iteration (e.g.
ApacheSOAP) was just about getting the job done simply. The next
iteration added better parsing and more flexible handler models, which
successfully supports WSSecurity and simple extensions to SOAP.

However, the big change has been WS-Addressing, which has made WS much
more asynchronous and message based. Unfortunately a lot of WS stacks
including Axis/Java 1.x and Axis/C++ 1.x were built with a very RPC-like
model.

Axis2 C is the start of the move of Axis in C/C++ to the Axis2 model.
When we wrote Axis2/Java we started again. In building Axis2/C we also
started again, but we also changed the language.

This isn't the right place to discuss C vs. C++, but a number of the
people who fed back on Axis C++ asked for a pure C version. And working
on the basis that C++ programmers are usually happy to have C++ bindings
onto a C library, it was felt that the widest adoption could be acheived
by building a pure C version.

Now this is an OSS project, so I can't speak for everyone. However, I
can say that there is a clear roadmap for Axis2/C - which is to build
SOAP, WSDL and WS-Addressing support in the base, and then expand to
support the other key WS-* standards.

Paul

On 12/6/05, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com> wrote:

	Cooper_JohnD@emc.com wrote:

	>Hi Dims,
	>
	>That sounds great, but why is Axis C++ not on the Axis 2
bandwagon?

	By the time Axis2 was designd, Axis C++ was in its 1.4 release.
	It is based on the lessons learnt in Axis 1.x falmily that Axis2

	concepts were built.

	Samisa...

	>Thanks,
	>
	>John
	>
	>4400 Computer Drive
	>2nd floor, Mailstop D239

concern includes
	>>>whether Will WS-* protocol be supported? And UDDI? Will there
be
	>>>architecture changes in seeable future?
	>>>I've searched this in mail list and found a post saying
there's
	>>>something called Axis2/C? Is this under development? Any
plan?

	>>Axis2C is in the initial stage of development. We plan to have
some
	>>working version by early next year. The effort is to implement
the
	>>Axis2 architecture
	>>(http://ws.apache.org/axis2/Axis2ArchitectureGuide.html) in C.
	>>
	>>Axis C++ is mature and has been there for some time. It is
very strong
	>>when it comes to client side. There has been some improvements
on the
	>>server side lately as well. However, it is tough to support
WS-* with