axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Dick <adrian.d...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: C-support and array implementation
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 07:43:39 GMT
Hi,

The get() method was not specifically provided to support C-bindings,
though it may coincidentally do this.
This was added as the data member m_Array, which is the C-style data array,
was made hidden from the user, so they need now need to make use of the set
and get methods to work with this.

As you say, it simply returns the actual array (m_Array), so a copy will
need to be taken if the Axis_Array object is likely to be deleted before
you're finished working with the C-style array.
I had considered implementing the get() method to return a deep copy of the
array, which would remove this problem, I had also intended to return the
data as const.  But I found some users were already taking advantage of the
current design to modify the data.  I guess what we really need is to add
in some of the common array operators (eg: []).
Alternatively, we could modify the get() method to have an additional and
optional parameter to indicate a deep copy is wanted, with the current
behaviour being the default.

I hope this is of help.

Regards,
Adrian