axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Call for wider input on AXIS2C-1455 (logging API)
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:14:32 GMT
I think the requirement is to use something other than a file system to
log.

My understanding is that, you can extend the current API to do this. May be
the API semantics are focusing on file based logging. But you can plug your
own impl to do whatever you want.

Note that, when you have your own impl, since you are in control, there is
no 'private' scope in the impl.

Re: "add a ''open log' operation to axutil_log_ops_t and move most of the
code in axutil_log_create() to a private axutil_log_impl_open(). "
The concern that I have is how it would impact the current implementation -
because we use this thought the current code - the create and then open
semantics is assumed. And create allocates memory and open opens up
the descriptors. Quite a bit of thought went in to this API when this was
originally designed, and it was the understanding that
this separation empowers extension like the way you want.
The easiest is to make sure you have your own impl, that override
the behavior the way you want.  You have to use create, to allow allocation
of memory and intilizations necessary. Then use open the way you want, or
ignore it, if you do not have anything to be done in the space.

When you plug Axis2/C logs to your own logging system, you
can initialize logging outside Axis2/C and then plug the writes from Axis2/C
to your logging system via the custom implementation.
I do not see any need to change the current Axis2/C API.

Regards,
Samisa...

--
Samisa Abeysinghe