axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: --package switch for Wsdl2java
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 16:38:20 GMT
Tom wrote:

> This is an extension switch that in no way breaks JAX-RPC.  By default we do
> everything JAX-RPC (vaguely) specifies.

The superfluous addition of the parenthetical adverb is an indication that
this discussion has moved from rational to emotional.

Russell wrote:

> It breaks JAX-RPC.  Section 4.3.1:  "However, the JAX-RPC 1.0 requires that
> a namespace definition in a WSDL document MUST be mapped to a UNIQUE Java
> package name."

IMHO, that's a bug in the current draft of the specifications.  People tend to insert version
information into namespace definitions - something that
does not have a precise analog in Java.

A concrete example, Axis will map xsd:int to java.lang.Integer for three
different values of the namespace associated with the xsd prefix.

I realize that opening this up invites potential misuse and mischief, but I
don't believe that prohibiting it is a viable alternative.

- Sam Ruby