axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Kopecky <ja...@systinet.com>
Subject Re: Remote references - future architectural idea
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:20:32 GMT
 Aleksander,
 I have a few remarks:
 1) Is there a strong reason for having portType as a structure
with the URI and name while it can be a simple QName (perfectly
valid and making sense in XML, with not so perfect support in
Java, but that's being worked on, I hear)
 2) How do you use the Name of the remote reference? If it's only
for documentation purposes, it could go into XML comment, don't
you think?
 3) Listing a reference to a WSDL portType and replacing WSDL
binding mechanism seems a little inconsistent. Why don't you
rather have a reference to a WSDL binding?
 4) We chose the path of regenerating the WSDL pointed to if we
want to change the access URI (should we keep instanceIDs in the
access URIs), but actually a very small portion of the WSDL file
needs to be generated, as you showed below, and the static rest
could be imported.
 5) I intentionally omitted the optional instanceID element in
our remote reference for I see instance IDs as an extension,
while remote references can be used to just point to services. I
also think that putting instance IDs into the access URI or
SOAPAction is a bad practice for these approaches tie you to a
transport, while putting instanceIDs in SOAP Headers is IMHO a
SOAP extension as it was meant to be. 8-)
 6) In WASP, the portType mapping can be configured statically on
the receiver but we do allow for sending this information along
with the reference so that (again, in the best case when the Java
receiver has the same classes available) the receiver need not
have this static configuration.

 To compare our approaches:
 I think your approach effectively adds the name.
 I think our approach is more cleanly tied to WSDL.
 We allow extensibility of this structure via additional elements
(as I said, those would have to be namespace qualified in the
final remote reference accepted spec) like instanceID or
portTypeMappings, you allow extensibility through subtyping of
the binding element inside the endpoint element.
 Otherwise, the approaches are equivalent in the functionality,
of course.

 Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

 Others, please comment on what you think the structure for
remote references should look like or which of the approaches
presented you like more and what, if anything, you would change
on it. 8-)
 Best regards,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   http://www.systinet.com/