axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollm...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
Subject Re: XML Security Job Offer: Axis Connector
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:47:20 GMT
Hi dims,

one thing about signed SOAP messages. The xml-security project allows you
to sign and verify 'resources'. It allows to to request (after you called
'verify()') to find out _what_ bytes have been signed. Now the problem (not
a problem for unit testing but for people who really rely on that):

If you get a SOAP message with a Signature, you verify that the signature
is valid and then you start processing, you shoot yourself into the knee
because you did not check _what_ was signed. Imagine you want your server
only to process messages whose complete Body has been signed by the client.
Then you must check that the Body was signed and nothing unimportant just
to create a valid Signature. Maybe the discussion on the XML Signature
Mailing list clarifies this [1].

Note: This is OK for unit testing but for a real-world-Scenario, there must
be more than simply XMLSIgnature.verify(). This 'more' can be

- is the URI of the signed Resource the Body and is there no transform
which deleted 'bad' nodes from the document.
- Get the bytes from the Signature object and re-parse them into a new
document and use THIS new document which contains the pure Body for further
processing (this second option is - from my point of view - the better and
more reliable one).

Regards,
Christian

[1]