axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Glyn Normington" <glyn_norming...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Why three layers of handlers?
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:11:48 GMT
One of the issues described in the draft architecture guide [1] is that the
Axis Engine currently knows about thee layers of handlers: transport,
global, and service. However, architecturally, this is rather odd. What
"law" of web services ensures that there will always and only ever be three
layers? Or, to put it another way, can anyone elucidate the
responsibilities of the global handler layer in a way which makes sense of
there being three layers?

It would be more natural to use Targeted Chains with their more primitive
notion of request, pivot, and response Handlers. We would then implemented
the Axis Engine as a Targeted Chain whose pivot Handler is itself a
Targeted Chain with global request and response Handlers and a service
pivot Handler (which is itself a Targeted Chain as we have just described).
Such an Axis Engine architecture is shown in the issues section of [1].

Glyn
[1] http://xml.apache.org/axis/docs/architecture-guide.html