axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Duftler" <duft...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Committed changes...
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:32:27 GMT

Hi Russell,

1. We followed the same style that JAXP used.

> 2. ... (I think I mentioned this to you already.) ...

Yes, and I mentioned that we will address this.

3. Your opinion will be noted.

Thanks,
-Matt

                      Russell Butek

                                               To:      axis-dev@xml.apache.org

                      01/28/2002 10:59         cc:      Matthew Duftler/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

                      AM                       From:    Russell Butek/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

                                               Subject: Re: Committed changes...(Document
link: Matthew Duftler)

Matt, this change is reasonable.  AXIS has addressed any problems we had
with it, but those problems bring up some issues I thought I'd bring to
your attention.

1.  The AXIS tests failed after this change.  That's our fault since we
didn't get around to addressing it before the automated tests ran.  But
they failed with IllegalArgumentException on the call to setFeature.  This
surprised us.  I'll freely admit that the surprise is simply a programming
style issue, but I thought you should know about it.  A feature seems a lot
like a property and it's a very unusual system that fails when you try to
set a property that it doesn't know about.  Most systems simply accept the
new property, and ignore it if it's not used.  If you really want a finite
set of features, then why not simply have a unique set method for each like
WSDL4J did before?  You're not really gaining much by having a generic
setFeature method if you throw an exception for features you don't know
about.
2.  If the verbose string had been a constant, then the AXIS code would
have referred to this constant and this failure would never have occurred.
I know this string is a constant in com.ibm... but it should really be in
javax.wsdl...  (I think I mentioned this to you already.)
3.  The default for verbose is true?  This is odd.  Most systems like being
quiet by default.

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com

Matthew Duftler/Watson/IBM@IBMUS on 01/24/2002 10:48:37 PM