axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Date problems (was: Re: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/test/wsdl/types ComprehensiveTypes.wsdl VerifyTestCase.java)
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 14:38:24 GMT
Russell Butek wrote:

> Dang!  Interop tests!  I KNEW I forgot to check something!  I'm on it...

Cool.

> So what do folks think?  Should I get rid of the xsd:date mapping?  It's
> not part of JAX-RPC and I don't believe users have complained that we
don't
> have it.

One thing I do agree is that xsd:date should not be the default mapping for
java.util.Date, given that it is a lossy conversion.

Ulimately, I believe that people will move to a WSDL first methodology.
Given this, I believe that the fiction of a 1-to-1 and onto mapping will
ultimately break down.

Both java.util.Date and java.util.Calendar should map to *BOTH* xsd:date
and xsd:dateTime, with metadata (reflection, skeleton interfaces, WSDD or
the like) helping the runtime distinguish between the various cases.  And
with the current scheme providing reasonable defaults for the 90% use
cases.

It is worth noting that only TCL appears to adequately support xsd:date at
the moment.

My recommendation for the short term: drop xsd:date and handle both
java.util.Date and java.util.Calendar as xsd:dateTime in much the same way
that we handle multple mappings to SOAP-ENC:Array.  People who are using
java.util.Date based on Apache SOAP's mapping (or prior betas of Apache
Axis) will appreciate it if we do.

- Sam Ruby