axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From mseib...@us.ibm.com
Subject RE: PLEASE REVIEW: Fw: cvs commit: xml-axis/java buildTest.xml
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:45:37 GMT

I guess I didn't make a few points too clear...

1) The process does not require editing the build<Test/Samples>.xml files
UNLESS there is a inter-target dependancy.  I added names for all of the
known tests when I started a month of so ago, but these aren't necessary.
A new test just requires a buildComponent.xml file be created, and the
system scans for these when it compiles (and eventually runs).  So there
isn't a required top-level list that needs updating.

1.5 ) You do still have to call everything from the top level, but that is
going to be alleviated in the near future (I hope)....

2) I can continute on the side, but I would ask that anyone who is working
on a test to update the buildComponent.xml files as they go, so I don't
have to try to keep things in sync in this ever changing landscape.  I have
just spent a day and a half catching up on that changes of the last two
weeks.  My main rationale of moving this into the main process was to
eliminate my need to have to keep up the syncs, as it would be in the
mainline...  But, I'll also be the first to admit that I really don't like
this being incomplete.  If everyone can help me keeping up this side-line
stuff, then I'm more than happy to be able to work more on this on the
side.  That would make me a lot happier :)

Matt Seibert                                           mseibert@us.ibm.com
IBM        External:    (512) 838-3656      Internal:   678-3656

Hi guys!

Here's what I really don't like about this approach: if you add a new
test, you need to add a test "name" for that at the top level, and you have
to call everything from the top.

I would VASTLY prefer (even to the point of waiting on this stuff) having
the individual test build.xml files just work from their own directories.
That way we don't need to keep a "master list" anywhere which needs
updating,  you could just have the top level look for "build.xml"s (or
buildComponent.xml  at present) in any directory under test/ and run them.

I could see getting this stuff as it stands in IF we had componentized
execution working already as well, but a) we don't, and b) it seems like
getting  the individual component build.xml's to work is going to be a
pretty serious  change - why not just do that while this stuff is off to
the side, instead of  impacting the mainline build process twice (once now
once when the next phase  happens).

My apologies if I'm not completely understanding the process - I admit I
haven't recently gone back and read your note about the structure.  I'll go
look at that, and also Steve's rationale for using DTDs and entities,
because  frankly that seems pretty odious to me as well - isn't there a
nicer-looking  way? :)

--Glen