axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Bug 17347 - Provider Lookup Fails within EARs
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 17:14:45 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jens Schumann" <jens@void.fm>
To: <axis-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 01:10
Subject: Re: Bug 17347 - Provider Lookup Fails within EARs

> On 3/3/03 04:08 AM Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

ooh, first we have to enum the problems with different platforms.

Tomcat: endorsed versus non-endorsed dirs on java1.4
SunOne: recent postings about its contextClassloader being invalid
WebLogic: doesnt explode WARs into directories, so whenever we ask for the
physical path to something in the webapp, we get failure.

> > Agreed. We need to look at config persistence better.
>
> Basically everything which is placed inside of an war archive during
runtime
> isn't doing anything good. Attachments for instance.

Attachments can be configured to go somewhere else, I believe

> Honestly, I haven't deployed a single exploded war archive in production
> quite a long time, usually we deploy everything as EAR. If you look at
> typical admin server - cluster nodes deployments (as used in BEA clusters)
> you will run into serious problems while updating something in your .war
> archive on a single node.
>

> > FYI my laptops' Axis source has a 'deploy on startup servlet' that
> > auto-registers an array of .wsdd  files, so you dont need config
persistence
> > so much; it autoinits itself from the build time configuration every
startup

> Yes. The init servlet approach. In my opinion this should be part of
> initializing the AxisServer instance. The current admin servlet is a
really
> nice tool for development, but nothing I would use nor allow in
production.
> Thus, persistence isn't required anyway (in production).

I agree. Though I am also biased towards something like an LDAP server in
production, for instant configuration of a whole cluster.