axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [Axis2] OM API review/changes
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:18:07 GMT
Ajith Ranabahu wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have a small suggestion to make about our OM API. This suggestion is
>based on my experience in writing the OM table implementation.
>Our OM interfaces do not have any setter methods! I find this rather
>annoying since what I do in the table model is to get an empty object
>and fill it with the data from the table (when asked).I can manage the
>filling of values with the current implementation however when the
>objects need to be created and added then there is a problem. With the
>current implementation if I am to implement it then object creation
>will be really cumbersome (Since there are no setter methods the
>changing of attributes will be a difficult workaround) . What I prefer
>is a jdom like thing where you can easily make an object and plug it
>in (Jdom objects have setters as well and that makes it much easier to
>handle programatically)
>My suggestion is to make the OM objects more "bean like" by including
>the necessary setter methods. We may not need the standard bean
>behavior inside though. But our interfaces are more "bean like"
>allowing them to be created and filled with values much more easily.
>

>Any thoughts?

i agree that API should be easy to use but we need to strive for a
balance and be careful to have necessary methods to make API easy to
use  (but not too many) and to allow use of immutable objects that can
be shared (such as the same namespace) between multiple elements leading
to lower memory usage.

thanks,

alek