axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Can OM with differed building really be so effective in Axis2?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:56:01 GMT
Dasarath Weeratunge wrote:

>--- Aleksander Slominski <aslom@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>

>>Venkat Reddy wrote:
>>

>>>However, the case of round-trip performance
>>>

>>includes time spent by the
>>

>>>service provider in preparing response, which might
>>>

>>need to parse the
>>

>>>body content.
>>>

>>but it may not need it for example if it is
>>forwarding message ...
>>

>>>Still, I think, if we consider doc/literal service,
>>>

>>the
>>

>>>body content now  parsed only once - that is, by
>>>

>>the provider. It
>>

>>>would have been un-necessary for axis engine to
>>>

>>parse the body if the
>>

>>>service provider has to do it anyway. Though, i'm
>>>

>>not sure if Axis 1.2
>>

>>>engine parses the body content for doc/lit or not.
>>>

>>it is good use case but i think for small message
>>(<1K)  it does not
>>make much of difference performancewise ...
>>creating few short lived
>>strings and object is heavily optimized in modern
>>JVMs ...
>>

>will this be true for c/c++ as well?

in C/C++ dysamics are different as you control memory allocation and if
you override default allocator you can have full control how memory is
chunked etc (so much power ... both blessing and curse of C++ ...). so
if you have special memory allocator for short lived strings it should
give similiar benefits to Java JIT optimizaitons/

however Java can sometimes work faster than C++ code as during bytecode
execution JVM optimizer may use runtime data to decide about
optimizations so it is in a sense able to learn from code execution
patterns (or get confused ...)

alek