axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dasarath Weeratunge <dasarathweeratu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] DataBinding for Axis2
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 09:19:18 GMT
Two things:
1.  Data binding needs to be layered on top of OM
    and not incorporated into it.
2.  External data-binding tools should be pluggable
    into our data binding framework.

So I propose that we go for the following:

package org.apache.axis.om.xmlbinding.*

interface OMXBContext {
   Object getObjectValue(OMElement e);
   OMElement getOMElement(Object e);
   String getTypeMapping(QName qname);
}

OMXBContextFactory {
   OMXBContext createContext(Properties prop);
}

There will be different implementations of OMXBContext
interface for different data-binding tools including
our own. The interface encapsulates the particular
marshalling/un-marshalling mechanisms specific to the
framework. For instance in the case of JAXB, for
converting objects to OM, one needs to use the
SAXOMBuilder. In the case of XMLBeans we have the
option of using either StAX builder or the SAX
builder. In our own data-binding tool we can optimize
this and create OM directly if need be without going
through XML APIs.

At the moment Iím working on a code generation tool.
The tool uses the schema model of XMLBeans. However,
the XMLBeans jar is ~1.8MB! So we will either have to
separate out the schema model into a smaller jar file
or write our own thing.

So if you guys can shoot questions/proposals we can
discuss those and move ahead.

Thanks
--dasarath