axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Integrating Complete XML infoset support
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2005 05:12:03 GMT
Venkat Reddy wrote:

>Alek,
>
>Like i said in the earlier thread on the same subject, there are
>couple of issues if we move the child API from OMElement to a seperate
>interface. The excerpt from my old mail:
>
>"The client API currently uses OMElement.addChild() to build the
>message. Even if
>we try to use setParent() instead of addChild() here, the user has to
>typecast the OMElement into OMElementImpl and pass it to setParent,
>which is not elegant."

Venkat,

why not have interface OMElement extends XmlContainer, XmlContained
and interface OMDocument extends XmlContainer
where interface XmlContainer has all child meanagement methods (so they
are shared)
and XmlContained is used to mark that item has parent, like

public interface XmlContained{
    public XmlContainer getParent();
    public void setParent(XmlContainer el);

}

that should solve all problems?

>Do have any ideas to resolve this? Until we get new ideas, here is my
>+1 for OMDocument extends OMElement.

note also Infoset Document item has no parent! and that is significant!

alek