axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Anne Thomas Manes <atma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Detecting exact fault from AxisFault.
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:17:13 GMT
HTTP error codes are different from SOAP Faults.
According to the WS-I Basic Profile:

  3.4.7 HTTP Server Error Status Codes

  HTTP uses the 5xx series of status codes to indicate failure due to
a server error.

  R1126 An INSTANCE MUST return a "500 Internal Server Error" HTTP
status code if
  the response envelope is a Fault.

SOAP defines four standard fault codes:
- Client: indicates a user exception; the client must fix the request
before resubmitting
- Server: indicates a server problem rather than a user exception;
client should be able to resubmit the request without change
- VersionMismatch: the SOAP namespace doesn't match
- MustUnderstand: the server didn't know how to process a required header block

(Note that Axis's use of the fault code Server.UserException makes no
sense -- if it's a user exception it should return the Client fault
code. Also the WS-I Basic Profile says use of the dot notation is NOT
RECOMMENDED.)

The actual content in the fault string is application-specific.

Anne