axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Anne Thomas Manes <atma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: WSDL with attachments
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:37:10 GMT
Just to clarify:

WS-I Attachment Profile 1.0 describes how to send attachments with
SOAP 1.1 messages  based on the SOAP with Attachments (SwA)
specification using MIME packaging. WS-I endorsed SwA because it is
more broadly implemented than any other attachment mechanism. Keep in
mind that SwA is not a "standard". It has not been ratified by a
standards group. The specification also does not define a WSDL
extension, therefore there was no specification for how to define
attachments in WSDL until WS-I defined the profile. Adoption of the
WS-I Attachments profile has been somewhat slow.

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not and will not support SwA, therefore
Microsoft does not and will not support the WS-I Attachment Profile
1.0. (SwA has some inherent security vulnerabilities, so I understand
Microsoft's position on this point.) Microsoft WSE 2.0 supports
attachments in SOAP 1.1 using WS-Attachments and DIME packaging.
(WS-attachments is also not a "standard".) WSE 3.0 supports SOAP 1.1
attachments using WS-Attachments/DIME and SOAP 1.2 attachments using
MTOM/MIME.

Unlike SwA and WS-Attachments, MTOM is a standard -- it is a W3C
Recommendation. But MTOM is specified to work with SOAP 1.2. That
kinda leaves us at an impasse for SOAP 1.1 attachments. As I said at
the beginning of this thread, my recommendation is "don't use
attachments".

Anne