axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GCJ
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:51:10 GMT
Nope. we are just talking about running whatever code we have with an
alternative jvm. dev team strongly feels (when last polled) that if
people want to use jdk1.3 then use Axis1, if they want to use 1.4 or
1.5 then use Axis2. Note that as long as the dev team feels that 1.4
is needed, we will not use generics or other stuff that comes with
1.5. If we need annotations etc, we will make sure code will work w/o
that in 1.4 using technical solutions (in this case specific case we
use JAM - http://annogen.codehaus.org/JAM). There is some discussion
going on in other projects like Geronimo on Retrotranslator
(http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/), But not on axis-dev@.

thanks,
dims

On 1/11/06, Parikh,Pratik <Pratik.Parikh@cerner.com> wrote:

> Hi Dims,
>
>    I am confused are we talking about generic support for java 1.4 and compiling the
axis2 with it? Or are we talking about something else....

> Thanks,
> Parikh, Pratik | Software Engineer | Cerner Corporation | (1)-816-201-1298 | pratik.parikh@cerner.com
| www.cerner.com

then u can have a 100% free stack.

> -- dims
>
> On 1/11/06, Jesse Sightler <jsight@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I think it would be significantly more difficult to get the whole
> > project to compile.  In my case, I was just running under IKVM in
> > dynamic mode, and using Sun's activation.jar/mail.jar for testing.
> > That setup worked fairly well.
> >
> > Trying to compile on top of a 100% free stack I think would still be
> > somewhat difficult given the limitations of GCJ at the moment.
> >
> > --
> > Jess
> > http://www.jroller.com/page/jsight/
> >

> > On 1/11/06, TEIXOEIRA@terra.es <TEIXOEIRA@terra.es> wrote:
> > > I don't know ... I tryed to run a test client I developed using
> > > eclipse
> > with axis (pretty easy). It worked over Sun's stuf but when it came
> > > to compile it with GCJ I started to find problems regarding the
> > javax.activation package, which isn't included in gcjlib/classpath
> > project
> > > and, also, refers to awt (incomplete in gcjlib/classpath).
> > > Ok, I'm new to axis but, what's the point in using Sun's
> > javax.activation??
> > > Dims, as I'm new to axis (and web services) I don't think I can help
> > > much
> > with this issue although I may give it a try.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > > ----Mensaje original----<br>
> > > De: jsight@gmail.com<br>
> > > Recibido: 10/01/2006 21:10<br>
> > > Para: <axis-dev@ws.apache.org><br>
> > > Asunto: Re:
> > > GCJ<br>
> > > I don't know about GCJ and the server functionality specifically,
> > > but the
> > client code works nicely with GNU Classpath 0.19
> > > (tested under IKVM).&nbsp; I would suspect that most of Axis would
> > > work
> > nicely as well.<br><br>I wouldn't recommend it without some fairly
> > > thorough testing, but the technology there is maturing quite rapidly.
> > href="http://www.jroller.com/page/jsight/ "

> > class="gmail_quote">On 1/10/06, <b
> > class="gmail_sendername">Parikh,Pratik</b>
> > > <<a href="mailto:Pratik.Parikh@cerner.com">
> > > Pratik.Parikh@cerner.com</a>> wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
> > style="border-left:
> > > 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left:
recommend using
> > > gcj? Since there is no support for it, and it is not perfect!
> > > Corporation
> > |
> > > (1)-816-201-1298 | <a href="mailto:pratik.parikh@cerner.com">
> > pratik.parikh@cerner.com</a> | <a href="http://www.cerner.com">www.cerner.
> > > com</a><br>
> > > [mailto:<a
> > href="mailto: davanum@gmail.com">davanum@gmail.com</a>]
> > axis-dev@ws.apache.org">axis-dev@ws.apache.org
> > > </a>; <a href="mailto:
> > > TEIXOEIRA@terra.es">TEIXOEIRA@terra.es</a><br>Subject: Re:
> > > GCJ<br><br>Not
> > yet. Can you please help us do it?<br><br>thanks,
> > TEIXOEIRA@terra.es">TEIXOEIRA@terra.es
> > > </a> <<a href="mailto:TEIXOEIRA@terra.es "
Are there
> > initiatives to port axis to gcjlib? Did someone manage<br>> to
> > > compile axis with gcj? And, if so, where can I find these libs?
Prueba el Nuevo Correo
> > > Terra; Seguro, Rápido,
Srinivas : <a href="
> > http://wso2.com/blogs/">http://wso2.com/blogs/</a>