axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Eran Chinthaka <chinth...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] [VOTE] Axis2 Packaging Proposal
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:26:23 GMT

Hi Srinath,

Srinath Perera wrote:

> +1 for the proposal
>
> 1) in the binary distribution shall we have the security and RM
> modules included. that way we have the complete WS-Stack re lase.
> (Or may be we can have a separate dist for that).

How many such modules we gonna include with Axis2 and how can we draw
a line to decide which modules to include and what not to include.
Remember we have other WS-* impls like Kandula2. And, I believe that
RM, Security must be maintained on its own and not within Axis2 (even
though security is now with Axis2, later that should be moved in to
WSS4J project).

Lets keep the standard distribution to the minimum from Axis2. If user
needs those, they can always go to the modules releases page and
download them.
But, I accept that Addressing is tightly integrated to Axis2 so its
worth shipping it with Axis2. At the same time, this will not hinder
addressing by releasing on its own, without waiting Axis2 to release.

> 2) I believe we should consider XML Beans or JAXB as our principal
> data binding option. It is usual belief JAXB is faster.May be we
> should try it too. At least to me data binding is already solved
> problems and do not worth additional effort.

Agreed. But I don't like to have XMLBeans or JAXB the default. Lets
have ADB the default, which is the bear minimum and lets keep the
flexibility to integrate any db framework.

> I think best way to go is provide simple schema support with ADB
> and ask users to go for JAXB/XMLBeans if they want to handle schema
> that do not fell in the ADB capablity. If we keep trying add better
> and better schema support to ADB we might end up creating a mess
> out of ADB. AFAIK experience with Axis 1.x show maintaining a ADB
> is a major hassle.

Srinath, I think all the devs are now merging in to your idea. Thats
why we always say "we have complete simple type support and limited
complex type support with ADB". Can you remember we agreed to have ADB
built-in so that user will have out of the box simple data binding
support. If he is not satisfied with that let him go and plugin
whatever he wants in to Axis2.

> +1 not include ADB in minimal ..or add it as separate jar.

I agree with Dennis' proposal with the Sanjiva's comments. So let
leave adb out of the minimal jar and have axis2-adb-version.jar.

- -- Chinthaka