axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Parikh,Pratik" <Pratik.Par...@cerner.com>
Subject RE: GCJ
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:58:14 GMT

Hi Dims,

   Thanks. I think what you said make sense, but it did raise a question in my mind. How hard
would it be to take the axis 1.X solution and run it on Axis2? Please let me know? I have
build my solution around Axis1.X and was wondering how hard what would it be or what would
it take to run on Axis2.

Thanks,
Parikh, Pratik | Software Engineer | Cerner Corporation | (1)-816-201-1298 | pratik.parikh@cerner.com
| www.cerner.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Davanum Srinivas [mailto:davanum@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:51 AM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Cc: TEIXOEIRA@terra.es
Subject: Re: GCJ

Nope. we are just talking about running whatever code we have with an alternative jvm. dev
team strongly feels (when last polled) that if people want to use jdk1.3 then use Axis1, if
they want to use 1.4 or
1.5 then use Axis2. Note that as long as the dev team feels that 1.4 is needed, we will not
use generics or other stuff that comes with 1.5. If we need annotations etc, we will make
sure code will work w/o that in 1.4 using technical solutions (in this case specific case
we use JAM - http://annogen.codehaus.org/JAM). There is some discussion going on in other
projects like Geronimo on Retrotranslator (http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/), But not
on axis-dev@.

thanks,
dims

On 1/11/06, Parikh,Pratik <Pratik.Parikh@cerner.com> wrote:

> Hi Dims,
>
>    I am confused are we talking about generic support for java 1.4 and compiling the
axis2 with it? Or are we talking about something else....

> Thanks,
> Parikh, Pratik | Software Engineer | Cerner Corporation |
> (1)-816-201-1298 | pratik.parikh@cerner.com | www.cerner.com

then u can have a 100% free stack.

> -- dims
>
> On 1/11/06, Jesse Sightler <jsight@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I think it would be significantly more difficult to get the
> > whole project to compile.  In my case, I was just running under IKVM
> > in dynamic mode, and using Sun's activation.jar/mail.jar for testing.
> > That setup worked fairly well.
> >
> > Trying to compile on top of a 100% free stack I think would still be
> > somewhat difficult given the limitations of GCJ at the moment.
> >
> > --
> > Jess
> > http://www.jroller.com/page/jsight/
> >

> > On 1/11/06, TEIXOEIRA@terra.es <TEIXOEIRA@terra.es> wrote:
> > > I don't know ... I tryed to run a test client I developed using
> > > eclipse
> > with axis (pretty easy). It worked over Sun's stuf but when it came
> > > to compile it with GCJ I started to find problems regarding the
> > javax.activation package, which isn't included in gcjlib/classpath
> > project
> > > and, also, refers to awt (incomplete in gcjlib/classpath).
> > > Ok, I'm new to axis but, what's the point in using Sun's
> > javax.activation??
> > > Dims, as I'm new to axis (and web services) I don't think I can
> > > help much
> > with this issue although I may give it a try.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > > ----Mensaje original----<br>
> > > De: jsight@gmail.com<br>
> > > Recibido: 10/01/2006 21:10<br>
> > > Para: <axis-dev@ws.apache.org><br>
> > > Asunto: Re:
> > > GCJ<br>
> > > I don't know about GCJ and the server functionality specifically,
> > > but the
> > client code works nicely with GNU Classpath 0.19
> > > (tested under IKVM).&nbsp; I would suspect that most of Axis would
> > > work
> > nicely as well.<br><br>I wouldn't recommend it without some fairly
> > > thorough testing, but the technology there is maturing quite rapidly.
> > href="http://www.jroller.com/page/jsight/ "

> > class="gmail_quote">On 1/10/06, <b
> > class="gmail_sendername">Parikh,Pratik</b>
> > > <<a href="mailto:Pratik.Parikh@cerner.com">
> > > Pratik.Parikh@cerner.com</a>> wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
> > style="border-left:
> > > 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left:
recommend using
> > > gcj? Since there is no support for it, and it is not perfect!
> > > Corporation
> > |
> > > (1)-816-201-1298 | <a href="mailto:pratik.parikh@cerner.com">
> > pratik.parikh@cerner.com</a> | <a href="http://www.cerner.com">www.cerner.
> > > com</a><br>
> > > [mailto:<a
> > href="mailto: davanum@gmail.com">davanum@gmail.com</a>]
> > axis-dev@ws.apache.org">axis-dev@ws.apache.org
> > > </a>; <a href="mailto:
> > > TEIXOEIRA@terra.es">TEIXOEIRA@terra.es</a><br>Subject: Re:
> > > GCJ<br><br>Not
> > yet. Can you please help us do it?<br><br>thanks,
> > TEIXOEIRA@terra.es">TEIXOEIRA@terra.es
> > > </a> <<a href="mailto:TEIXOEIRA@terra.es "
Are there
> > initiatives to port axis to gcjlib? Did someone manage<br>> to
> > > compile axis with gcj? And, if so, where can I find these libs?
Prueba el Nuevo Correo
> > > Terra; Seguro, RĂ¡pido,
Srinivas : <a href="
> > http://wso2.com/blogs/">http://wso2.com/blogs/</a>