axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ekmekcioglu, Lerna \(IT\)" <Lerna.Ekmekcio...@morganstanley.com>
Subject How does Axis Engine work ?
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:07:14 GMT
I sent this email to axis user mailing list and got no reply.  I'm
hoping someone in this list can help in answering my question.  I
appreciate any clarification you have on this.

I have a java app that uses apache axis and makes soap calls to a soap
server.  My app is on the client side.  First of all I ran into the
issue with stubs being not thread safe.  I then read up on axis mailing
lists about this.  Are stubs in latest version of axis still not thread
safe ?

According to previous posts regarding stubs and serviceLocator and how
heavyweight it is to create the locators, I gathered we should have one
instance of serviceLocator and create a new stub for each call and then
throw the stub away.  Following this advice in my app I create only one
serviceLocator and create a new stub within each method that makes a
call.  Do stubs go away after they are out of scope or does axis engine
hold references to them ? Does serviceLocator which holds the engine
also hold a  pool of connections ?  What happens if a connection in axis
engine's connection pool is stale/dead b/c the back end server has been
restarted ?

My concern is when a client makes requests  to the SOAP server and gets
successfull replies and then comes back next day and makes another
request to the SOAP server.  Let's think of the scenario where in the
mean time the SOAP server was restarted.  Now the axis engine will be
holding references to stale connections in its pool of connections and
the stub which uses this stale connection to try and connect to the
server will fail even though the server is up.
Therefore when I bind to the soap server not only do I create a stub but
I also need to  test if I get a successfull reply on a simple request.
This will cover the case when the backend SOAP server has been restarted
and the connections referenced by current axis engine are stale.  If I
get a failure on the simple request then I will create a new
serviceLocator hence get a new axis engine with no stale connections in
it.   I then try again with a new stub obtained from this new
serviceLocator.  Note that it is expensive and heavyweight to talk to
the device, in my case almost as heavy as creating a serviceLocator.  So
I am back to square one with expensive binds.  Pls let me know if my
assumptions about axis engine internals described here are correct.

Ler.na