axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Williams <ch...@manawiz.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Axis2 1.1 release- CODE FREEZE - Released
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:13:30 GMT
Thanks Thilina.

Will the 1.1 branch be maintained going forward?  If so, that would be
my best bet.

My issue is that I need to support a stable version of axis2 within the
product that we have just released.  I'd like to keep this at 1.1 until
the next stable release is available, but would also like to get any
critical 1.1 bug fixes (and will of course make such fixes for any
issues that we encounter).

I was never able to use the 1.0 release, and so prior to 1.1 had our
product based on a post-1.0 development snapshot.  This was stable, but
the problem was after a while it was no longer buildable.  This is
because of upwardly incompatible changes in the various snapshot
dependencies.

My concern is that a similar fate awaits the 1.1 branch.  If it contains
snapshot dependencies and is not actively maintained as the best most
recent stable 1.1+fixes, then eventually it will become unbuildable
inevitably.

I'd suggest eliminating all snapshot dependencies from the 1.1 branch
and only include new versions of libraries as are required for critical
updates to the current stable release.

Could you explain the plan?

Thanks,

Chuck