axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Ann Robinson <robins...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [AXIS2] Proposal for saving the message context
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:27:12 GMT

Sanjiva,
The proposal for saving the MessageContext is that the following context
classes implement the java.io.Externalizable interface:

- MessageContext
- OperationContext
- ServiceContext
- ServiceGroupContext
- SessionContext

The ConfigurationContext class does not need to implement the
java.io.Externalizable interface.

Since only a subset of the MessageContext object graph is saved during
serialization, the deserialization of a saved MessageContext only
reconstitutes a subset of the MessageContext object graph.  In order to
re-establish the full MessageContext object graph, the restored
MessageContext object needs to be called with an active
ConfigurationContext object that is appropriate for the AxisEngine where
the deserialization is taking place.  This is the
MessageContext.activate(ConfigurationContext configCtx) method.  The
MessageContext.activate() method uses some metadata that was saved/restored
to re-establish the links to the appropriate Axis* objects.  The metadata
typically corresponds to the name associated with the Axis* object.

Ann

WebSphere Development, Web Services Engine

IBM
11501 Burnet Rd   IZip 9035G021
Austin, TX   78758
(512)838-9438                TL 678-9438

Lotus Notes:  Ann Robinson/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Internet:         robinsona @ us.ibm.com

             Sanjiva
             Weerawarana
             <sanjiva@opensour                                          To
             ce.lk>                    axis-dev@ws.apache.org
                                                                        cc
             11/28/2006 10:30
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: [AXIS2] Proposal for saving the
                                       message context
             Please respond to
             axis-dev@ws.apach
                   e.org

I read thru the Wiki page but am a bit unclear on what is proposed. Are
you proposing that:

- All the context classes implement externalizable
- add a method configContext.activate(MessageContext)

Does the externalization involve storing names of the Axis* objects so
that those links can be re-established?

What exactly does activate() do- I didn't see that documented.

Thanks,

Sanjiva.

--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.