axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Thilina Gunarathne" <cset...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Axis2 1.1 release- CODE FREEZE - Released
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:45:50 GMT
Hi Chuck,
> Will the 1.1 branch be maintained going forward?  If so, that would be
> my best bet.
Yes.. It'll be maintained.. But only the critical bug fixes will go in
there. IMHO I don't want to see the 1.1 branch getting polluted with
random fixes for unreported issues.
IMO we should *not* be committing code straightly to the 1.1 branch..
If somebody feels that a bug needs to be fixed in 1.1 , he can open a
jira (possibly with a patch). Then we can decide whether that bug is
critical enough to be fixed or whether there's a possible danger to
the stability of the code.

My plan is to release a 1.1.1 bug fix version in case if we find any
major issues with 1.1... Still the things are looking okay and hope
it'll be the same for next couple of months. :)

> My concern is that a similar fate awaits the 1.1 branch.  If it contains
> snapshot dependencies and is not actively maintained as the best most
> recent stable 1.1+fixes, then eventually it will become unbuildable
> inevitably.
I don't think we'll reach that status until we are done with the
rampart+rahas releases, which will be happening soon.. After that
everything will become build able with released versions of
dependencies..

> I'd suggest eliminating all snapshot dependencies from the 1.1 branch
> and only include new versions of libraries as are required for critical
> updates to the current stable release.
+1.. Security related modules will follow this after their release.

Thanks,
Thilina

http://webservices.apache.org/~thilina/
http://thilinag.blogspot.com/