axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Chamikara Jayalath" <chamikar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [AXIS2] Proposal for saving the message context
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:08:56 GMT
Hi David, Sanjiva, All,

On 12/18/06, David Illsley <davidillsley@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/12/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 14:04 -0600, Ann Robinson wrote:
> > > This proposal has been available for review and comment since
> > > 2006-10-31.
> > > I know the shutdown for Axis2 1.1 release took a lot of attention away
> > > from
> > > other items such as this. However, the prototype for this proposal has
> > > been tested and
> > > used internally so the prototype has reached a level of stability. I
> > > think the risk of
> > > introducing problems to the mainstream message processing is very
> > > minimal.
> >
> > Yes, except it doesn't work as advertised in Axis2 core. It works for
> > you for RM because you're not expecting the rest of the context
> > hierarchy to come back the way it was when you deserialize.
> >
> > I agree the proposal has been around for a long time but I've pointed
> > out that its flawed and you're saying "its not flawed for the way I want
> > to use it". But if anyone else does mc.serialize() and tries to bring it
> > back up it won't work.
>
> I don't buy this argument at all. Anyone who serializes a
> MessageContext and expects a fully restored system just by
> deserialising it again is IMO living in cloud cuckoo land. That's not
> to say someone might not, but that there are any number of bits of
> Axis2 that it isn't at all obvious how it works and some additional
> investigation, doc reading and questions is required. I don't think
> the limitations outlined by Ann are in any way an egregious addition
> to those areas, and in addition they're well documented.
>
> I see this very much in the same scope as the clustering proposal -
> i.e additional function that is:
> 1. Complicated
> 2. Not critical for every Axis2 user
> 3. Not possible to fully isolate from axis2-kernel
> 4. Potentially confusing for basic users

I certainly don't believe that the clustering proposal had all the
> answers or gave a view of an implementation that I want in Axis2.
> However, I think we went the right way in accepting the clustering
> proposal despite these problems as we can simplify, hide and factor
> out over time.

Please feel free to send all your concerns  regarding this proposal.
Actually we really need comments from people with some experience since many
of us are not experts in the area.

> I believe the same holds for Message Context serialisation. I don't
> fully understand all of it right now but I can see the benefit. Lets
> work with it on the trunk and over time we can improve our
> understanding and most likely some of the code (no offence intended
> Ann!)

Why not ceate a branch for this proposal and commit it there. It will be
possible to merge things to the trunk once we get these issues solved. I
dont agree with committing something that 'might work' into the trunk.

Chamikara

David