axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Ann Robinson <robins...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [AXIS2] Proposal for saving the message context
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:30:46 GMT

Sanjiva,
Thanks for the response.

First of all, I have finished the implementation for your concern about the
ServiceContext properties and I am running through tests before submitting
an updated patch.  With this updated patch, when the message context is
restored, it will look for existing ServiceContext and ServiceGroupContext
objects and use those existing objects instead of unique objects.  This
means that the restored object graph for the MessageContext is made up of
mostly existing objects (of the primary objects, only the MessageContext
and OperationContext will ultimately be unique).  I expect to submit this
updated patch in a couple of days.

I would really like to see this proposal get committed when the updated
patch is available.  The prototype for the message context save/restore has
been through a fair amount of testing and reached a level of stability, and
the risk to the rest of AXIS2 should be minimal.  With the updated patch,
the message context save/restore proposal should be architecturally
complete, with maximum object re-use where possible.  Also, getting the
commit done would allow me to verify the commit in the Axis2 source before
many folks take off for end-of-year holidays.

Ann

WebSphere Development, Web Services Engine

IBM
11501 Burnet Rd   IZip 9035G021
Austin, TX   78758
(512)838-9438                TL 678-9438

Lotus Notes:  Ann Robinson/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Internet:         robinsona @ us.ibm.com

             Sanjiva
             Weerawarana
             <sanjiva@opensour                                          To
             ce.lk>                    axis-dev@ws.apache.org
                                                                        cc
             12/17/2006 11:53          sandesha-dev@ws.apache.org
                                       Re: [AXIS2] Proposal for saving the
                                       message context

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 14:04 -0600, Ann Robinson wrote:
> This proposal has been available for review and comment since
> 2006-10-31.
> I know the shutdown for Axis2 1.1 release took a lot of attention away
> from
> other items such as this. However, the prototype for this proposal has
> been tested and
> used internally so the prototype has reached a level of stability. I
> think the risk of
> introducing problems to the mainstream message processing is very
> minimal.

Yes, except it doesn't work as advertised in Axis2 core. It works for
you for RM because you're not expecting the rest of the context
hierarchy to come back the way it was when you deserialize.

I agree the proposal has been around for a long time but I've pointed
out that its flawed and you're saying "its not flawed for the way I want
to use it". But if anyone else does mc.serialize() and tries to bring it
back up it won't work.

> I would really like to get this proposal at a point where it could be
> included
> in the Axis2 1.2 release. I am currently working on a solution for the
> point
> you made regarding the ServiceContext and I will provide an updated
> patch.

Looking forward to it.

> What are the concerns/issues that are blocking the acceptance of
> this proposal?

I'd like to see some others weigh in. Bill, what do you think? I'm sure
you understand the point I'm making and I'd like to hear whether you
think its not important. If there are others who feel that its ok to
commit it then I'll lift my objection; so far its been a conversation
between Ann and myself and that's not good!

Glen/Eran/Deepal/Dims/others?

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.