axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ajith Ranabahu" <ajith.ranab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] release planning
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:07:50 GMT
Hi,
As much a fan I am for 'release early release often', I have a feeling
that two months of development may not yield enough changes to fully
constitute a release (just a feeling though). So would it be sensible
to do 4 month develop/test/release cycle rather than a 3 month one ?
(3 months development ,1 month test/bugfix/document altogether 3
releases per year)
The time gap allows the gathering of more usecases and gives people
room to play around. By the time we get to the next 'bug fix' stage,
people would have played around with the earlier release and found all
the issues.

Ajith

On 12/19/06, Deepal Jayasinghe <deepal@opensource.lk> wrote:
> I am big +1 for this approach.
> Let's start that process immediately after 1.1.1 release .
>
> Thanks
> Deepal
>
> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>
> >Folks, I'd like to suggest that we try to do 3-monthly releases .. with
> >2 months of development and one more of wrapping up / packaging. I'm
> >motivated to suggest this after the debacle of the 1.1 release .. we
> >spent more than *6 months* releasing it and to me that's just crazy.
> >
> >Release early, release often is an important open source mantra. Given
> >that we're still in a fairly rapid innovation mode, this is even more
> >important.
> >
> >This also will force us to work thru a bit of a roadmap so users know
> >what features to expect in what version (to whatever extent possible to
> >do that in an open source project .. I'm not suggesting we plan
> >everything).
> >
> >Thoughts?
> >
> >Sanjiva.
> >

> --
> Thanks,
> Deepal
> "The highest tower is built one brick at a time"

Ajith Ranabahu