axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Does Axis2 provide much better performance than Axis 1.X?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:01:34 GMT
The performance advantage of Axis2 over Axis(1) is mostly because
Axis(1) converts every message to DOM form. Axis2 instead handles most
data by using some form of data binding, which converts to and from Java
objects with much better performance than a DOM. In cases where the full
DOM representation is used (such as when WS-Security is involved), Axis2
uses AXIOM. I haven't actually tested this, but in these cases Axis2
might actually be slower than Axis(1), because AXIOM is slower and
bulkier than most DOM models (see
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-java2/ for some
performance results).

The importance of StAX is not that it's much faster than SAX, but that
it allows the SOAP framework to hand off processing of the document data
to the data binding framework. The linked article discusses this in more
detail.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski