axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Suriarachchi <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: -1 for SVN revision 727413 (WSDL2Java change)
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 05:50:55 GMT
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Glen Daniels <glen@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >     separate problem.  The answer is to generate "foo()", "foo1()", etc.
> >

> > yes this is an option. But I would like to have two methods as  "Foo"
> > and "foo"  since this gives
> > and indication to user which method has mapped to which operation.
> > However if the methods are named as "fo-O" and "foO" there is no option
> > other than "foO" and "foO1"
>
> Again, my strong belief is that we should follow the standard
> conventions for mapping by default.  So even if we have both "Foo" and
> "foo" I still think the right mapping is "foo()" and "foo1()".  The
> backwards-compatible behavior can be "Foo()" and "foo()", that's fine.
> And if, using the backwards compatible mode, we have "Foo" and "F-oo" we
> should make sure they map to "Foo()" and "Foo1()".
>
> Hey, look, test cases! :)
>
> >     > 2. the generated code is not backward compatible with Axis2 1.4
> >     release
> >     > code.
> >
> >     Yeah, this is the part I didn't get before.
> >
> >     OK, here's my suggestion.  I consider the 1.4 behavior to be a bug,
> and
> >     we should IMO fix it for 1.5 and beyond.  The fix should change the
> >     default behavior to the standard JAX-RPC/JAX-WS mapping,
> >
> > this depends on whether xmlNameToJavaIdentifier has implemented
> > according to the JAX-RPC/JAX-WS specifications. I am not sure about it
> > and if so that is great.
> > However As I saw  axis2  service deployment (I mean .aar files) does not
> > follow any JAX standards.
>
> I'm not saying we should switch the API and require the TCK.  I'm saying
> that there's no reason NOT to follow, as closely as possible, the
> standard mapping, b/c I think that would make life easier for Java
> programmers in general.  The mapping was designed to use standard Java
> coding conventions, which is IMO a good thing.
>
> In any case, we should have an authoritative test that checks all the
> mappings.
>
> >     and we should
> >     at LEAST support (examples are imagined in one single WSDL):
> >
> >     WSDL              Java
> >     ------------------------------------
> >     Foo               foo()
> >     FoO               foo1()
> >     Fo-O              foo2()
> >
> >     We're going to be living with this code for a long time, and I'd
> really
> >     rather not have people forced to use "-lcmn" forever in order to get
> >     what is actually the correct mapping to Java.
> >
> >     Of course, this WILL mean
> >     problems with some pre-1.5 WSDLs, but we've already dealt with that
> in
> >     Rampart (since the trunk has been converting to lower case) and
> others
> >     can deal by switching to the correct mapping as well.  For backwards
> >     compatibility, I *do* think we should add an option, but the option
> >     should be something like "-14" for "1.4 backwards compatible"
> >

> > Ok. I 'll rename  -lcmn option as -uon (use operation name) to enable

Ok. then I'll add this option so that we can end up this discussion with an
agreement. Please give me one or two days I'll do it once I get the time.

> As a completely separate topic, do you realize that command line options
> like "-uon" are pretty much wrong according to the standard Unix/GNU
> conventions?  A single dash is generally used to indicate single-letter
> options, and the flag/switch options like this can traditionally be
> combined... so "-uon" should really be equivalent to "-u -o -n".  Longer
> word-like options are typically indicated GNU-style with a double-dash
> and real words: "--useOperationName".  Along these lines, I'd really
> like to redo the command-line processing for WSDL2Java/Java2WSDL one of
> these days.  It's also been a long-term peeve of mine that you need the
> "-uri" option when you should be able to just "wsdl2java
> http://host.com/my.wsdl"....

I accept your criticism about the convention. But on the other hand I don't
think users find any critical
difficulty  using it.
First of all this may break you own idea you have mentioned above

- If we weren't doing things RIGHT before, then we should fix the
default behaviour.  But fixing a bug is the *only* reason to change the
default.

Of course here also you can define not following Unix/GNU convention as a
critical bug worth changing
existing code.

Second issue is the backward compatibility. This make an impact on both
written code and articles. For an example Chinthaka has done a good
job[1][2][3] in documenting all these parameters. your change may make these
documents invalid.

So I am -0 on this change.

(Please start a new discussions if you need to talk this since people
interested this topic may ignore it with the discussion thread name)

thanks,
Amila.

[1]
http://wso2.org/library/tutorials/reference-guide-axis2-code-generation-parameters-part-1