axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <tjord...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: question regrading Axis conditions
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:31:48 GMT
We (the Axis project, formerly the Web Service project) do not believe that the wsdl4j license
affects the license of Axis.  Axis 1.x has been embedded in many open source and commercial
software packages with no ill effect.

This might be a good subject to post to the Foundation Legal Discussion Mailing List:

Of course for all things legal, you would have to consult your own lawyers for authoritative
answers for your legal situation.

Tom Jordahl
Axis 1.x developer

-----Original Message-----
From: Fendt, Oliver [mailto:oliver.fendt@siemens.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:22 AM
To: java-dev@axis.apache.org
Subject: question regrading Axis conditions

Hi

Let me introduce myself, my name is Oliver Fendt I am working for Siemens Corporate Technology
and I am in charge of Open Source platforms. Siemens Coprporate Technology is a central function
and not developing any product.

I' have a question regarding the license conditions of packages delivered with Axis.

Axis 1.4 is shipped with wsdl4j-1.5.1.jar according to the license file which is contained
in the lib-directory of Axis too the package is licensed under the CPL 1.0, which is a copyleft
license. My question is wether the copyleft effect of the jar file spreads over Axis, or whether
you regard Axis not as a derivative work of wsdl4j?

In this context I have an additional question the file /axis-1_4/lib/servlet.jar/javax/ servlet/resources/web-app_2_3.dtd
has some strange license conditions (please see below) which in my opinion are not Open Source
compliant and even forbid the redistribution. My question is whether Sun Microsystems had
donated this file to the Apache foundation officially and whether there exists a written statement
on this issue from Sun Microsystems?

Btw. Such licensed files are present in Apache Tomcat too.

Files in Tomcat (5.5.23) which are licensed under the strange Sun License:

servletapi\jsr152\src\share\dtd\jsp_2_0.xsd
servletapi\jsr152\src\share\dtd\web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\dtd\j2ee_1_4.xsd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\dtd\j2ee_web_services_1_1.xsd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\dtd\j2ee_web_services_client_1_1.xsd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\dtd\jsp_2_0.xsd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\dtd\web-app_2_3.dtd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\dtd\web-app_2_4.xsd
servletapi\jsr152\src\share\dtd\web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\dtd\j2ee_1_4.xsd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\dtd\j2ee_web_services_1_1.xsd
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\javax\servlet\http\package.html
servletapi\jsr154\src\share\javax\servlet\package.html

Sun Microsystems License information:

Copyright 2000-2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc. 901 San Antonio Road,

Palo Alto, CA 94303, U.S.A. All rights reserved.

This product or document is protected by copyright and distributed
under licenses restricting its use, copying, distribution, and
decompilation. No part of this product or documentation may be
reproduced in any form by any means without prior written authorization
of Sun and its licensors, if any.
Third party software, including font technology, is copyrighted and
licensed from Sun suppliers.
Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun Logo, Solaris, Java, JavaServer Pages, Java
Naming and Directory Interface, JDBC, JDK, JavaMail and Enterprise JavaBeans,
are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc in the U.S.
and other countries.

All SPARC trademarks are used under license and are trademarks
or registered trademarks of SPARC International, Inc.
in the U.S. and other countries. Products bearing SPARC
trademarks are based upon an architecture developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems, Inc.
Federal Acquisitions: Commercial Software - Government Users Subject to
Standard License Terms and Conditions.

DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY
IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE DISCLAIMED, EXCEPT
TO THE EXTENT THAT SUCH DISCLAIMERS ARE HELD TO BE LEGALLY
INVALID.

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Best regards

Oliver Fendt

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
CT T DE IT 1
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 München, Deutschland
Tel.: +49 (89) 636-46033
Fax: +49 (89) 636-45450
mailto:oliver.fendt@siemens.com <mailto:oliver.fendt@siemens.com>

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gerhard Cromme; Vorstand: Peter
Löscher, Vorsitzender; Wolfgang Dehen, Heinrich Hiesinger, Joe Kaeser, Barbara Kux, Hermann
Requardt, Siegfried Russwurm, Peter Y. Solmssen; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München,
Deutschland; Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-Nr.
DE 23691322