axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] 1.5 branch build broken
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:47:22 GMT
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 04:03, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> Hiranya Jayathilaka wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:43 AM, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com
>> <mailto:dms@sosnoski.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    as usual...  :-(
>>
>>    Just got the source from
>>
>>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/axis/axis2/java/core/branches/java/1_5/
>>    (which looks to be correct for the new TLP structure), when I run
>>    "mvn clean install" I get:
>>
>>    Missing:
>>    ----------
>>    1) org.apache.ws.commons.axiom:axiom-api:jar:1.2.9-SNAPSHOT
>>    2) org.apache.ws.commons.axiom:axiom-dom:jar:1.2.9-SNAPSHOT
>>    3) org.apache.ws.commons.axiom:axiom-impl:jar:1.2.9-SNAPSHOT
>>

>> Looks like the Axiom snapshots are not available in any of the maven
>> repos. You can try checking out the Axiom trunk and building it manually.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hiranya
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Hiranya. I checked out Axiom, upgraded to a more
> recent Maven to make that build - and then had the same problem. It turns
> out Axiom is now building 1.2.10-SNAPSHOT, rather than 1.2.9. I changed the
> version referenced by the Axis2 build to 1.2.10-SNAPSHOT, and that got me
> further. Now it's the jaxws-integration tests that have errors, which
> usually seems to be the case in my build attempts.
>
> It'd give more of an impression of quality software development if the Axis2
> projects were at least kept in a state where they could be built. But I'll
> just ignore the rest of the code and build only the few parts I need for my
> code changes, rather than trying to actually run the full build and tests.

Dennis,

I don't know any project that systematically tests its builds with all
possible combinations of Maven version, Java version, Maven settings
(e.g. maven.test.skip), platform (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) and
preconditions (local repository empty or not). We have Hudson jobs and
these builds work fine. If people encounter problems in a specific
environment or when running with non standard Maven settings, we
expect them to report the issue and provide enough information to
track down the issue.

For the jaxws-integration test issues, you simply complain but don't
provide any relevant info about the issue. I'm tempted to say: as
usual...  :-(

The jaxws-integration test issue has existed for quite some time in
the trunk, but got fixed in a couple of days after it became clear
that all the people who were complaining about this were actually
trying to build with maven.test.skip=true (but forgot to mention
this...).

Andreas