axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sagara Gunathunga <sagara.gunathu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next Release Axis2 1.6?
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 14:39:55 GMT
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Amila Suriarachchi
<amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Here is the complete story:
>>
>> Normally, the release process should be as simple as this:
>>
>> 1. Update relevant documentation (release note, entry in the download
>> page, etc.) for the release.
>> 2. Use maven-release-plugin to perform the release and upload the
>> artifacts to the (Nexus) staging repository.
>> 3. Vote.
>> 4. Promote the Maven artifacts for the release.
>> 5. Upload the distributions.
>> 6. Upload the site.
>> 7. Send an announcement.
>>
>> However, with Axis2, it is far from being that simple. I guess that
>> former Release Managers can confirm that previous releases have always
>> caused much headaches. Unfortunately nobody ever took the time to
>> document the process. Currently, my primary goal is to fix the
>> build/release process to get 1.5.2 out. Obviously it would not make
>> sense to fix this only on the 1.5 branch. Therefore I'm doing the
>> changes on the trunk (with the 1.6 release in mind, which BTW is still
>> officially managed by Amila)
>
> Couple of months back I had some time to spend with Axis2 and I thought of
> doing a release. In fact I was
> expecting to do a release with the proper dependencies and what ever the
> possible bug fixes.
>
> Currently I am bit busy with my other stuff and if you have time please go
> for Axis2 1.6. Hope I will get some time
> another 3-4 weeks time and can do what ever necessary.
>
> BTW big +1 for the release automation process. so that any one can do a
> release once they got some time to spend with Axis2.
>
> Hope Saranga will be able to do the woden release soon.

This is the first time Woden going to release with
maven-release-plugin , at the moment I'm also little busy  plus have a
GSOC commitment . Most probably i can look in to this after next week.
BTW configuring maven-release-plugin  is the only remaining major
task for next release hope it will not take much time.

Thanks,

> thanks,
> Amila.
>

>> and then merge them to the 1.5 branch.
>>
>> To answer your question: the plan is to release 1.6 with Axiom 1.2.9.
>> Ideally we should have a 1.6 branch (depending on Axiom 1.2.9) where
>> we prepare the release, and development should go on on the trunk
>> (depending on Axiom 1.2.10-SNAPSHOT). However, that would mean that
>> the changes to the build/release process would have to be merged
>> twice. That is something I would like to avoid.
>>
>> I don't think there is a need for a contribution freeze, but changes
>> that depend on new features in Axiom 1.2.10 should be postponed until
>> we have a 1.6 branch, i.e. until the build/release process has been
>> stabilized.
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 17:07, R J Scheuerle Jr <scheu@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> > Andreas,
>> >
>> > Will Axis2 1.6 be based on Axiom 1.10 ? That has been my assumption.
>> >
>> > I am discussing a contribution freeze with the other IBM committers.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Rich Scheuerle
>> > Senior Programmer, AIM SWG
>> > IBM Web Services (JAX-RPC, JAX-WS, SAAJ)
>> > Development, Customer Solutions, and Open Source
>> > Apache Axis2 (scheu@apache.org)
>> > 512-286-8420 (IBM TL 363-8420)

Sagara Gunathunga

Blog - http://ssagara.blogspot.com