axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Afkham Azeez <afk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis Website update
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 04:25:49 GMT
I think we should be able to modify at least certain pages independent of
the latest release. For example, the home page http://axis.apache.org/  looks
so dull & incomplete. Chanaka had prepared nicer looking pages with the
projects logos and so on. We certainly need to update that page at least.

Thanks
Azeez

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 19:16, Nadir Amra <amra@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > So then updates to the site can only be done on a release boundary?
>
> The basic constraint is to maintain consistency between the published
> site and the site sources. In practice this indeed means that the site
> is only refreshed during a release. However:
>
> * One can do manual edits to the generated site, provided that the
> site sources are also updated (so that the updates are not lost when
> the site is regenerated). I did that with the Axis2 site in order to
> fix a couple of broken links after the 1.5.3 release. Unfortunately
> people tend to forget to update the site sources, leaving it to other
> people to clean up the mess when doing a new release (see r1042149 and
> r1042163).
> * Technically, nothing would prevent us from republishing the site
> from the trunk without doing a release. However, this means that the
> site may contain information (e.g. in the Javadoc) that is not
> applicable to any release. Also, I don't know any project at the ASF
> that does this.
>
> > If true, that does not  seem too flexible, does it?
>
> Maven sites are fine for some type of documentation (such as Javadoc,
> reference documentation or information that doesn't change much), but
> it is definitely not flexible enough for some type of content (e.g.
> tutorials). Some time ago there was a discussion about this and the
> consensus is that we need something else (which would be in addition
> to the Maven sites, at least during a transition phase) that would
> allow to publish content with a simpler procedure. At that time,
> Confluence (with the auto-export plugin) was the only CMS available
> and I like that system, although it's not perfect. However, the future
> of this at the ASF is uncertain because the infra team would like to
> get rid of it in favor of their own custom built solution.
>
> > Nadir Amra
> >

> > Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote on 12/27/2010 11:04:50
> AM:
> >
> >> From: Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com>
> >> To: java-dev@axis.apache.org
> >> Date: 12/27/2010 11:07 AM
> >> Subject: Re: Axis Website update
> >>
> >> The changes for AXIS2-4912 were applied to the site sources in the
> >> trunk. That was after I prepared the 1.5.4 release. The site currently
> >> online is the one generated from the 1.5.4 release and therefore
> >> doesn't contain these changes. The normal way to get them published is
> >> with the next release. If that is 1.6, then the changes will be
> >> included automatically. If the next release is 1.5.5, then the site
> >> changes need to be merged to the 1.5 branch first (I did that for
> >> 1.5.4, and I plan to do the same for 1.5.5, if there is another
> [...]

*
*
*Member; Apache Software Foundation;
**http://www.apache.org/*<http://www.apache.org/>