axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: WSDL generation for the services exposed only in local transport
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:57:39 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 08:48, Heshan Suriyaarachchi
<heshan.suriyaarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Devs,
> I am opening up this thread to discuss $subject.
> Recently, I did some improvements [1] to the Axis2 local transport, inorder
> to get it working against Synapse nhttp transport. Now the local transport
> is working fine against the nhttp transport.

To me the statement "getting transport A working against transport B"
doesn't make sense. Two distinct transports A and B never interact
directly. Each of them interacts with the Axis2 engine through (in
principle) well defined APIs. If a component (Synapse in this case)
based on Axis2 has an issue when using A and B together, then either
transport A, transport B, the component or the Axis2 engine has an
issue (or multiple components have an issue), but saying that
transport A needs to be fixed to work with transport B doesn't make
sense and is an indication that the fundamental issue has not been
identified properly.

At this point, what we know is this:
* NHTTP doesn't work as a transport sender in a standard Axis2 setup
[1]. It only works in Synapse. That means that from the point of view
of Axis2, the NHTTP transport is broken. That is of course OK, because
NHTTP is shipped with Synapse and nobody claims that it is supported
in a plain Axis2 setup.
* At some point I tried to figure out what would need to be changed to
make the NHTTP transport work in Axis2. IIRC the conclusion was that
one can make it work in Axis2, but then it no longer works in Synapse.
This would indicate that Synapse actually uses the transport API in a
way it was not designed for.
* As indicated in AXIS2-4944, the current version of
NonBlockingLocalTransportSender doesn't work in Axis2. Unless somebody
can come up with a valid unit test that exercises this piece of code,
this would mean that we introduced a broken piece of code in Axis2 in
order to work around another broken piece of code in a downstream
project. That is of course not OK.

Note that the issue with NonBlockingLocalTransportSender is also
blocking the review of other issues such as AXIS2-4991, because it is
not possible to construct a unit test that validates (or invalidates)
the proposed patch. That is BTW a general issue with the recent
patches for the local transport. As far as I can tell, none of them
added any new unit tests.

[1] At least that was my conclusion when I last looked at it. I'm
ready to retract that claim if somebody comes up with an example that
shows how to set up a simple Axis2 client that uses NHTTP as outgoing
transport.