axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Axis move to the Attic (was: Board concerns over Axis project reports - README)
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2017 20:50:29 GMT
(bcc: general@, c-dev@, board@ for FYI)

Since there hasn't been any response to the below email by any PMC
members (or indeed any community members), it may be time Axis to go to
the Apache Attic, and turn the entire project read-only.

To be blunt: if there are not three active PMC members to ensure that
the board has quarterly reports and the project could vote on a
potential security release, my estimate is that the board will move the
entire Axis project to the Attic no later than the November board
meeting, possibly earlier.

I strongly urge any PMC members or even committers on the project to
step up, propose a new PMC chair, and work on a report for the board ASAP.

---- Some perspective on why board reports are important ----

In the governance model at the ASF the board delegates responsibility
for managing projects to PMCs. To enable to board to provide oversight
across the foundation, the the PMCs aretasked with providing the board
with a quarterly report on the health of the project. The board has
noticed that the reports for XXX have been missed for a number
of months.

The reports to the board are normally written by the PMC chair but all
PMC members have an individual responsibility to ensure that a report is
submitted. If the PMC chair is not available then any PMC member can
submit the report. If you need help with this process, please reach out
to board@apache.org

Please ensure that a report for XXX is submitted to the board for the
next meeting.

If the PMC chair is not going to be available for an extended period of
time it may make sense to rotate the PMC chair. Rotating the PMC chair
does not mean the current chair has failed. People's situations and
interests change, and rotation is good as it allows more people to
become familiar with that role. Again, if assistance is required with
this process, please feel free to reach out to board@apache.org

As projects mature, they will naturally reach a point where activity
reduces to a level that the project is no longer sustainable. At Apache,
projects reach this stage when there are no longer 3 active PMC members
providing oversight. Projects that reach this stage are placed in the
attic [1].  If XXX has reached this point, please reach out to the Attic
project to arrange transfer. On the other hand, if your project is
mostly dormant but still has at least three active PMC members it can
stay in that state for as long as needed. If your project is in such a
state, please mention that in your report and verify the PMC's state at
regular intervals.

Finally, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to
board@apache.org

----

On 2017-09-20 10:31, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote: > (Note
mixed private/public lists)