beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan, Scott" <Scott.R...@echostar.com>
Subject RE: Review sets for non-bea committers
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:56:31 GMT
I agree that this will grow over time as we all become comfortable with the
code base.  I don't know if there is any value in converting to Maven but I
am more than happy to work on that task.  It might involved some
re-organization of the code but would give us access to more tools to make
understanding of the code more palatable.

Scott Damon Ryan
Developer
(720) 514-5389
Scott.Ryan@echostar.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle Marvin [mailto:kylem@bea.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 10:53 AM
To: beehive-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Review sets for non-bea committers

I'd definitely agree that we need to work through this and find ways for
folks new to the code base to come up to speed on the overall structure and
how to find/understand the various subsystems they are interested in.

I'd observe, though, that this is not a point-in-time problem (i.e. let's
get existing non-BEA committers up to speed).  The right way to handle it is
to provide sufficient info such that _anyone_ interested in diving into the
source has a roadmap of sorts to begin to understand the code base.   This
will be the best way to build a community and add more contributors over
time.

Given that there is already a significant amount of code there, it seems
like a top-down approach is best.  We probably need some high-level
description of the structure of the source tree and what's in different
locations, and then folks working closer in various subsystems (pageflows,
controls, ...) can fill in the gaps, hopefully w/ some combination of useful
javadocs + design/overview documents where useful/appropriate.

It's probably also best driven w/ an eye towards what needs to be done
next... i.e. rather than trying to capture documentation on everything,
preparing information on areas of the code base that have missing
functionality or enhancement work remaining probably has the best ROI on
effort.

-- Kyle