beehive-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastian Gozin <s...@gamepoint.net>
Subject Re: Green Field platform for Beehive
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:32:13 GMT
Seems to me you already have everything you need to get started.
Apart from the locale issue I should tell you that using ant from
netbeans will be a bit tricky. Netbeans empties the default classpath
when using Ant in order to force you to specify all classpath
dependencies in the ant script. Currently the Beehive Ant scripts assume
at least the availabillity of Tiger's tools.jar. Some targets do include
the tools.jar but not all.
You can enforce the inclusion of tools.jar by adding it to Options ->
Build -> Ant Settings -> Additional Classpath
This will allow you to run some of the targets from netbeans though I
haven't yet been able to run target "drt" properly.

I was under the impression people could use ant from under eclipse but I
haven't tried yet. For the moment I don't mind having a shell open to
run ant tasks.

You might also want to read this article on running Netbeans with Tiger
(http://www.netbeans.org/community/articles/tiger/36Tiger.html). After
you got it working you could also try and add tools.jar to the code
completion database at Tools -> Code Completion Database Manager.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Rotan Hanrahan wrote:

>I've just returned from vacation and it's great to see that Beehive is buzzing!
>
>OK, so as a newbie to the Apache process I'd like to ask some advice.
>
>I have two PCs upon which to explore Beehive. One is WinXP, the other will be SuSE9 (Linux).
Assuming I can install any open source tool, what would be a reasonable initial setup for
Beehive?

>Can I have some ideas (and links) for:
>- Code editor
>- Code builder
>- Code test
>- Code documentation editor
>- Code diff
>- User documentation editor
>- System test/stress
>- SVN checkin/out/merge
>- Icon/grapic editor
>
>I have some preferences of my own. Among the open source tools I'll install will be the
following:

>- TortoiseSVN. I've used the CVS version and it's pretty easy, though there are times
when I've resorted to WinCVS for more complex operations.
>- Netbeans. I've been a fan of this for years. I tried Eclipse a year ago, briefly. I'll
try the SVN module if Tortoise proves insufficient.
>- Ant. There's a Netbeans module for this too. Not sure if I can use this for Beehive.
>- Diff. Ditto :-)
>- JVM. 1.5b2, according to BUILDING.txt
>- Tomcat. Naturally.
>- Gimp.
>
>My locale won't be US, and I see from a scan of the recent emails that this could be an
issue.

>I'm also in favour of a snapshot download as an archive (tar/zip).
>
>Any other hints and tips for establishing a good build/test environment suitable for Beehive
would be welcome.

>>---Rotan
>>

>PS Does anyone know why the commit emails are going to beehive-cvs despite the fact that
I signed up to beehive-commits?