beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Colwell" <jcolw...@bea.com>
Subject Annotations in AXIS JWS files
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:22:01 GMT
Howdy all,

I put together a prototype that allows/requires AXIS .jws files to use
annotations.

This prototype is in no way is intended to push anyone into using any
specific design or architecture.  I just cobbled this together starting
the middle of last week after spending a couple days looking around at
the AXIS internals.  While most of the JSR-181 Annotations are
supported, the spec is not fully covered since I just wanted to see if
it would work, and so far it works on 4 different machines (home, work,
and 2 coworkers).

As a WAR file it should be able to just drop into your favorite servlet
container's webapps folder.  I have tried that successfully with Jetty
4.2.21 and Tomcat 5.0.27.  You will need to use jdk1.5.0 as well as have
tools.jar in the classpath since it more than doubles the size of the
existing 1.8 MB download.  Let me know if it doesn't work or if my
bandwidth is exceeded and you cannot obtain the WAR from the following
link.

http://superflaco.com/Beehive/AnnotatedAxis.war

To make this work, I did change one AXIS class,
org.apache.axis.components.compiler.Javac.java and am in the process of
submitting that patch to the AXIS folks.  The change was a minor fix to
allow the compiler to compile Annotations.  I also extended
org.apache.axis.handlers.JWSHandlers and changed server-config.wsdd to
use my subclass.  Unfortunately, the subclass had to stay in the
org.apache.axis.handlers package to make use of some package private
utilities, but for a quick and dirty test app I thought it would be
okay.  The new classes as well sources can be found in /WEB-INF/classes.

Thanks,

Jonathan