beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Merz" <mm...@bea.com>
Subject RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Commons-Attributes 2.1 Released
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:41:47 GMT
Hi Sanjiva,

Thanks for the interesting link.

Having had a look at the "commons attributes", they do look somewhat
similar to "annotations" as specified in JSR-175
(http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=175) in that it specifies a method
for augmenting Java language elements with metadata. I suppose both
annotations and attributes could be used for similar purposes.

However, the attributes do not comply with JSR-175 and are not an
extension to the Java programming language (as JSR-175 annotations are).
Hence, the attributes require a separate, compiler (which can be invoked
as an Ant task). That compiler is not an off-the-shelf compiler and is
typically separate from javac. Moreover, processing model, notation and
grammar for attributes are different than JSR-175 annotations. There are
more differences between annotations and attributes in their
implementations, too.

Finally, JSR-181 specifies a set of Metadata for Web Services; all
metadata definitions in JSR-181 are based on JSR-175 (and comply with
the grammar specified therein). They're compiled into the code by any
javac from JDK version 1.5 (given the retention policy requires it) and
can be accessed through standard Java APIs (again, from JDK 1.5).
However, since attributes don't rely on JDK 1.5, they can be used with
(almost ;) any JDK version.

Cheers,

-michael