beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Ken Tam" <ken...@bea.com>
Subject RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Commons-Attributes 2.1 Released
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:29:41 GMT
>From the C-A FAQ:

----
Q: How does Commons-Attributes fit in with the annotations in Java 1.5?

A: With annotations we'll finally have a standard API for metadata in
Java. The downside is that we have to switch to Java 1.5. Since people
even now are still stuck with Java 1.2 and Java 1.3, it may be a while
before a project can require 1.5 and still have a reasonably-sized
audience and/or usefulness.

This is where Commons-Attributes comes in.

Ultimately this s a choice you must make based on your own
preconditions, but this is my advice: You should switch to 1.5 if you
can, given stability, compatibility et cetera. After all, it is the
standard that people will use when it becomes the standard (which it
will). However, if you foresee that you'll stick with 1.4 or earlier and
you think that metadata is the most cost-effective way of solving your
problem, then you should definitely take a closer look at
Commons-Attributes.
----

Since JSR 181, and all of Beehive, are standardizing on  JDK 1.5, I
don't think C-A is relevant.  I suppose it's conceivably interesting to
port the 181 annotations to C-A, but it seems like that ought to be out
of scope for Beehive (at least at this point).