beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Tocco" <sto...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat upgrade (WAS: Ant upgrade?)
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:06:39 GMT
My personal feeling is we should try to stay up to date as much as
possible with patch/minor point releases.  While I agree they come
frequently, if we stay on them the changes are usually predictable.

As for major jumps like Tomcat 5 to Tomcat 6, especially when Tomcat 6
is new, I feel we should wait until we have a driver for that move or
feel comfortable with effort.

As for the JDK, since it is in beta, I think it is also important to
stay close on that as well.

Since recent Ant upgrades were small point releases and the projected
Tomcat release is a small point release I feel we should go up to them.

Over time, as Beehive gets larger, with more adoption this may need to
be reevaluated.

My 2 cents.

Thanks
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Rahul [mailto:rahul.thakur@clear.net.nz]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 2:41 PM
To: Beehive Developers
Subject: Re: Tomcat upgrade (WAS: Ant upgrade?)

Just a few thoughts:

I think we should upgrade only if there are "strong" reasons to do that.
understand there will be numerous bug fixes and improvements to Ant.,
Tomcat
and other external libs that we use, but the point is to baseline a
version
for development(unless we are hitting a "show stopper" block). Of
course,
developers should be able to use alternate versions of Ant ,
Tomcat...etc if
they like but the project should be built and test against what is
"base
lined".

The other thing(and probably not a biggie for fellow developers with
high
speed connections)  are SVN updates.It takes ages to update libraries,
especially with a dialup (unfortunately i am on one !). I'd suggest
that an
interested developer should be able to download the requisite libs by
himself and I think its faster (using a download manager) than svn and
would
make getting Beehive sources quick !! A readme file could be added to
the
project about getting requisite libs from URLs. OR the other thing can
be to
place the project dependencies separate from the source and these can be
downloaded in case anyone does not wishes to get dependencies from
different
URLs.

Cheers,

Rahul