beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Ias" <iasan...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: jpetstore sample appliation
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:42:49 GMT
> Ias--
>
>   Yes, I considered that but already had petstore mostly
> working and had graphics (styles / images) that could go with
> it.  I've run into licensing problems in the past with some
> of the artwork contained in other samples.  And, example
> applications tend to present better when they're pretty.  <g>

I ran Adventure Builder during some porting job to JEUS (Tmax' J2EE server),
and found myself surprised at its nice views with JSF rendering and colorful
images. I'm not sure of AB's licensing model, but guess that we have
possibilities to figure it out, for example, by co-working with AB team as
AB is about web services, in which Beehive has much interest.

>   In addition, it's pretty small and focuses on the web-tier
> and business objects without getting overly complicated.

Yes, that's why AB may terrify people. I also felt that it was fairly
complex when I ported it. To the contrary, I realized that AB was noticeable
because its sophisticated structure could demonstrate more feasible
applications for web services than migration of existing web applications
through web services protocols.

>   It's certainly the case that one could add web services
> (and JSF for that matter) to the petstore application.  In
> the long run, it'd be great to have the petstore use a
> pluggable service layer that supports an in-memory object
> store and a database / web service layer balances between
> between being easy to run and being more real-world.

I'd like to mention about why AB was created. One of the reasons is, in my
humble opinion, Petstore was designed when SOA was not above the horizon. In
other words, I think that the main benifit that AB tries to offer is
service-oriented design practices.

>   And, as always, having more than one example is never a bad thing.

Absolutely. Probably we could enjoy Petstore for fully matured and well
known features and AB for web service and GUI oriented purposes at the same
time.

Thanks,

Ias