beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Eddie O'Neil" <ekon...@bea.com>
Subject [vote] replace BEEHIVE_HOME with BEEHIVE_DEV_HOME
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:06:25 GMT

   Yeah, I agree with this; thanks for bringing it up.

   The BEEHIVE_HOME environment variable should be used by Beehive
*users* and the distribution.

   Having BEEHIVE_DEV_HOME makes the build more obvious because there's
no ambiguity between an install and an SVN tree.  For those who might
wonder, we use BEEHIVE_DEV_HOME so that there's a reliable way to
reference the root of the source tree.  This fixes some issues with
running Ant targets and relative references, so we don't end up with
things like "../../../" in Ant files.

   I'd be for going ahead and doing this work.  In the build, we'd need to:

- adjust the build to replace all BEEHIVE_HOME references with
BEEHIVE_DEV_HOME

Then, all Beehive developers would need to:

- fix their environments to set BEEHIVE_DEV_HOME

   There's definitely a little impact on devs here, but it seems better
to do this sooner rather than later.  The longer we wait, the harder it
is to change.  :)

   Anyone see any issues with this?  Can we vote on this today?

   +1 for me.

Eddie