beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Carlin Rogers" <carlin.rog...@gmail.com>
Subject question about schema changes and versioning
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 21:52:15 GMT
I have some questions about how Beehive development should handle
versioning for a schema change.

Background... I've come across a scenario for creating snippets of
templates that may not have all the required tokens as defined in the
TemplatedURLFormatter class for the template support in NetUI URL
rewriting. But rather than have a developer provide an extension to
TemplatedURLFormatter and override the set of required tokens for all
templates in the web app, the desired enhancement would be to have an
optional flag on a template by template basis in
beehive-url-template-config.xml to be able to basically say it doesn't
need to validate against required tokens.

A change like this would imply a change to the
url-template-config.xsd. It would extend the namespace (e.g., by
adding a new optional element in the <url-template>), but does not
invalidate previously valid documents.

What would be the process for a schema update as far as versioning?

Currently the url-template-config.xsd does not have the optional
version attribute at the start of our XML schema. Should we start by
adding it and bump it up with the next release? Then existing instance
documents would not have to change as they would remain valid with the
new version since it is just an optional additive change. Do we even
need to do that? Or would there need to be a different approach such
as changing the schema's targetNamespace? If so, how should it be
versioned, especially for minor changes? ...just trying to determine
the best way to do this for an optional, additive change like this.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Kind regards,
Carlin