bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Matevž Bradač <mat...@digiverse.si>
Subject Re: Installation Documentation for Windows
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 18:45:15 GMT

On 1. May, 2013, at 18:45, Gary Martin wrote:

> On 01/05/13 16:33, Lawrence AN Mouarkach wrote:
>> Hi,
>> There are key issues with the installation documentation in that for a
>> windows user it is very hard to setup if you happen to be relatively new to
>> python programming. The installation of setup tools and pip is confusing
>> and unclear, could you perhaps suggest a solution, as I am currently stuck
>> trying to install bloodhound. If you provide a solution I will be more than
>> happy to update it on the apache installation document page!
>> Regards,
>> Lawrence Mouarkach
>>

> We have been looking into improving that area. It is a problem with relying on the webpages
of each package to tell you how to install. It looks like for 64bit versions of Python you
should follow the advice of downloading http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py and
running the file with something like

>   C:\Python27\python ez_setup.py
>
> from the cmd line from wherever the file was downloaded. That should get you setuptools.
>
> After that running
>
>   C:\Python27\Scripts\easy_install virtualenv
>
> should install both pip and virtualenv.
>
> If someone could confirm that I have that correct, that would be great.
>
> Cheers,
>    Gary

IIRC that's the correct way, just take make sure to point to the correct
python.exe if you have both 32- and 64-bit versions installed on the same
machine. There are also unofficial windows binaries (both 32- and 64-bit)
available[1] if the above steps don't work.

[1] http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

--
matevz